Saturday, June 27, 2009

Greetings from Istanbul!! - Shelby

So here we are 4 days in to our adventure and I'm finally posting on here. It's a lot easier said that done getting online, I'm finding myself valuing this time for sleep, eating, or exploration, but we've decided to stay in and play backgammon tonight, and drink tea in our hostel instead of at a cafe. I'm having such a wonderful time - today we visited the Museum of Islamic Art and History aka the Rug Museum, with the larges collection of Ottoman rugs in the WORLD. It was amazing. They had looms set up showing the techniques, with the oldest rug dating back to 6c AD - pretty amazing when the oldest thing we have at home is McDonalds.
We also spent some more time at the grand bazaar and purchased a few things. As much as I love a bargain, there is something about haggling that makes me a bit anxious - probably something to do with them trying to rip me off, and me knowing in the back of my mind that they are still getting a lot of profit, no matter what I pay them. But I did find some amazing fabrics that were pricey, but I ended up paying 45 Lira for what I would have paid at least $90 at home. I'm planning on making an traditional bellydance costume of the authentic tribal variety - instead of the coin bras and jiggly bits they try to pass off.
Visited the Hagia Sophia museum yesterday, and after many days of our banks thinking that our cards were stolen aka no money, we got our debit cards activated last night. Note to self - arrange travel plans with bank BEFORE leaving next time.
But in general, we are having a great time and will be here until July 1st (Anders' 22nd bday) at 8pm, when we board a bus for an 11hour trip to Antalya.
Love love love,
Shelby

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update sis! I am so happy that you are having a good time! Dad said he has chatted with you a couple of times--and one time some parrots flew by---crazy! Have so much fun..and the Big Sister side of me says: "Be safe." But I know you will--I miss you to pieces, it is weird having you so far away.
    Love, Bren

    ReplyDelete